Sunday, April 22, 2007

Bad Religion

It's been too damn long. Here's the scoop: I was unable to remember my account information and the web connection here is bum-diggity.
We've been on ship since the 10th of April. Twelve days now and it's taxing. I'm working the nights and sleeping the days away. My theory on working nights has always been "you get to work to days at once," so it puts everything into fast forward.
Our exercise in Thailand has been cancelled, so we won't be stopping. It looks like our major destination is going to be a violent little nest in the Middle East that starts with "I" and rhymes with "Attack." Yay!
Wow, what to say? You shouldn't have found this page if you weren't interested in me thoughts, innermost and whatnot. Here it is ...
I miss home. I miss land. I miss family and friends. Life at sea, man. Life at sea.
There ya go. I've been keeping busy, updating the Web site nightly and playing guitar quite a bit. I run on the flight deck in the mornings which provides a glimpse at tranquility amidst the chaos of day to day ship life. Throughout the journey, a careful eye can closely observe the crushing of human spirit as lifely priveliges are revoked - namely sunlight. There are people on this ship that haven't seen the sun for two weeks. Line-standing is also a common aspect to life on ship. There are lines for breakfast, lunch and din-din. For the night crews, there is 'mid-rats', basically the days' leftovers served at midnight. You have to have a special pass to wait in that line.
On the bright side, I'm (as discussed above) playing guitar a lot and taking a college class and listening to music and reading and running. They say a routine is paramount in passing the time, like prison. Well, it's true. My routine is as follows (note: times are given in 24-hour format):
2100: wake up, shower, shave.
2230: check in at the office, check email. Think.
2300-0000: eat midrats, drink coffee, talk to people also on night shift.
0000-0530: work, play guitar, surf the web, think, watch movies.
0530-0600: eat breakfast, drink coffee.
0630-0730: run on flight deck
0730-0800: look at sea, watch for flying fish
0800-0830: conduct final email checks, prepare for sleep.
0930-2100: sleep. Usually I don't actually fall asleep until noon or so. I read until then.
Be good everyone. Now that I can login, I'll write more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home